....So the "not" so good news is my Aunt Flow did in fact make her appearance --spotting on Tuesday and then full flow on Wednesday which so happened to be the scheduled IVF consult anyways. The bloodwork that was done on Monday was in fact "negative" for hcg and surprisingly, I was so happy that it was??? INSANE considering the past 2.5 years, getting my period would result in my weepiness and disappointment...knowing that I am in full gear to pursue IVF, I was relieved that the test was negative and am both eager and excited to move forward with this treatment!
My husband and I went to the consult w/our RE yesterday and got more bloodwork done. My husband then left for work while I stayed w/the Fertility Nurse, Roz was her name and she is amazing! We spent the next 2 or more hours...going over the IVF Protocol as well as her demonstrating and teaching me how to self administer the sub-cutaneous injections related to my treatment. I have no problems with needles, blood, or any of that stuff so it seemed very straightforward and easy to understand.
My doctor explained to me that they'd be using an IVF Protocol called the Antagonist or Hyper Response Protocol. He said that they decided this on a number of factors and a few of the characteristics as to why were:
My age (I'm younger than 35)
My Body Mass Index (I'm small, petite and considered light weight)
My unexplained fertility as there are no other reasons for me to be considered for another protocol
My possible percentage in having Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome
and also the fact that since I was diagnosed w/unexplained infertility, that this protocol allows for more monitoring and consistent check-ups and evaluation of my treatment.
Instinctively, I truly do believe that IVF will be a great service to me, no matter what the outcome may be--success or no success as many of the "unexplained" problems I'm having can't be discovered any other way unless I proceeded to this level of treatment. Doing the IVF will enable the doctors to investigate and probe further to find the reasons to my diagnosis...the "unexplained" will potentially be answered and that is a true blessing to me!
The doctor further explained that with my information and if I decided to do transfer ONE embryo at a Day 5 transfer, which is at a blastocyst stage, my chances of conceiving and sustaining a pregnancy was higher than 60% which is fabulous! If I were to elect doing two embryos at Day 5, my chances for twins would be about 40% which is also very good and still very high, but I am aiming for one good healthy baby!
So to start this protocol, I will be on Birth Control Pills for the next 21 days starting tomorrow, CD3, Friday. Roz explained to me this is to ensure that they can pinpoint exactly when to do what procedure next and allows for more control and consistency with the process, which I am all about it so whatever is necessary, I will do. When my Aunt Flow comes back for a visit at the end of the month, I am to call the office to schedule bloodwork and an ultrasound. From there we will then start the ovulation stimulation with the injections which I will definitely follow up with some video tutorials and updates as well.
But for now, there won't be much "action" related to the IVF as I will just be on Birth Control Pills for the remainder of this month. I will try to update with how I'm feeling and whatever else I have cooking at home in terms of domestic goddess tips and tricks and projects, but other than that...it will be a long month for me.
The expected time of egg retrieval and transfer will happen around the 11th through the 22nd and I should know ultimately if I am pregnant FOR SURE by end of April!!!! Woohoo! It's so exciting and I just can't wait for all of this to happen.
Being the realist that I am, I will always hope and pray for the best and prepare for the worst. I do not intend on telling my daughter until I am "in the clear" after the first trimester...and once all systems are a go, I will be going nutts with scouring the internet with all things natural, cloth diapering, nesting, decorating, baby gear and in getting my daughter ready to be a Big Sister.
If it doesn't work out--I will have learned more about my body and how it works and maybe will have more insight on what I could do the next time. My husband and I have agreed to freeze whatever embryos we have left and will decide when we are ready if we will pursue another treatment or take a break. In any case, I believe this whole experience has brought us much closer and has taught us so much about ourselves and each other.
So until my next post, happy day to everyone! Baby Dust to All! Enjoy the weekend wherever you are! It's rainy and gloomy here in Philadelphia, hope it's sunny where you are! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment